TrackStudio – found what I’ve been looking for?
Wow… sounds too good to be true finally.
After searching for a good helpdesk/ticketing/project management solution for distributed project teams for over 1,5 years without really finding what I wanted today I came across TrackStudio and I think with
- Hierarchival Task Management and Work Breakdown Structure
- Field-Level Visibility per user role
- Inheritance of project structure setups (that means setting up
the three major features I was missing in so many “small scale” systems out there seem to be in place.
I haven’t tested this solution yet, but with an enterprise license including source-code (java) for around $3k this is one piece of software that every bigger project should be able to afford even for it’s own sake… not to mention a bigger project organization.
What impresses me further are a broad range of (soap-based) integration options
- into SCM systems CVS and SVN out-of-the-box
- into Outlook (out of the box?!)
- into the whole MS office app palette (I want to see THAT!)
- and so many more…
and finally a hefty user security thing, tons of e-mail subscription and e-mail submission features (even for time-tracking! hi trackertool - I spent 8 days today on task #424 LOL)
The workflow features deserve a separate mention - TrackStudio allows you to specify and enforce your tracking process through states and state transitions… that’s per project … and of course you might have different project types like marketing project, software project, evaluation project, procurement project, employee hiring project etcetc in your organization, don’t you?
- Web-based workflow editor
- Complete workflow customization: states, transitions, etc
- Unlimited numbers of workflows, states and transitions
- Multiple workflows per project
- Multiple task categories per workflow
- Dependent task categories
- Workflow inheritance WOW.. that’s what you want
- Per-project workflow customization,
- Per-workflow customizable fields /fancy!/
- Elapsed time history recorded in the database with comments
- Workflow and e-mail notification integration
I must admit after finding my major requirements fulfilled I must take a look at the requirements list I made over 2 years ago for the prospective tracking tool to see if there’s anything missing… my gut feeling says that time-tracking, accounting and invoicing might play a minor role, so i’ll check out features for that and integration into existing systems out soon.
They offer a hosted solution at $40 / month for the professional edition for 20 users AND there’s a 30day trial available - so I have nothing to lose but signup and learn more… 🙂
PS: these guys mentioned that if you find a tool that covers their functionality, they will link and advertise it own their own site… cool